Who We Are
The Maine Energy Marketers Association, or MEMA for short, is a non-profit 501c(6) trade association representing more than 300 members, including 125 heating oil, propane, biofuels, pellets, electricity and motor fuels providers as well as convenience store owners. Our members own and operate 70% of Maine’s 1,300 convenience stores, selling more than one billion gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel, and distribute more than 90% of all the propane sold in our state each year. MEMA also has more than 175 associate members who provide goods and services to Maine’s petroleum dealers and their customers.
Collectively, our members help more than 400,000 Maine households and keep nearly one million Mainers warm and cozy.
- To promote the best interests of the Association and the individual members and to do any and all things necessary or incidental to the maintenance and conduct of the Association.
- To promote the sale of heating fuels with primary attention to fuel oil, liquid bio-fuels and propane and to promote the heating equipment and related industries and products associated with these fuels.
- To promote the sale of motor fuels and convenience store operations and their related industries and products.
- To promote the standards of installing and servicing heating equipment and products related to those services defined above and to develop and deliver educational programs to meet the needs of the membership.
- To seek methods for promoting sound economic and ethical practices and to improve the relationship of the liquid fuels and propane industry with the general public.
MEMA Technical Education Center
MEMA members own and operate the state’s leading non-profit 501c(3) HVAC-R training facility, MEMA Technical Education Center (MTEC). Overseen by an all-volunteer Education Committee comprised of business owners and associates currently working in the industry, MTEC’s curriculum continually evolves to reflect relevant trends, advancements and industry best practices, ensuring your employees possess the qualifications necessary to provide unsurpassed service to your customers.
Maine Energy Facts
Maine Energy Facts is a MEMA-sponsored, consumer-facing resource that provides home heating advice to Mainers 24/7. Through education and outreach, our mission is to provide fair and truthful information to inform Maine homeowners about their home energy options. It’s a complex subject, and we strive to make the information we provide understandable and actionable.